“What’s the difference between north Indians and Indians. All of us are Indians,” Justice B N Agrawal and Justice G S Singhvi
I have been writing about Raj Thackeray and MNS for a while now. His admirers call him a savior who has brought out what common Maharashtrian is feeling. Some also want him to become the next CM of Maharashtra. On the other hand his critics call him a murderer, a politician who wants to divide India based on “regionalism”.
Lets first look at what our constitution states:
WE, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, have solemnly resolved to constitute India into a SOVEREIGN SOCIALIST, SECULAR, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC and to secure to all its citizens:
JUSTICE, social, economic and political; LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship; EQUALITY of status and of opportunity; FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the Nation;
Two things really caught my attention
1. Socialist – Which means everyone has equal right and opportunity. And
2. FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the Nation;
Here is what our directive principals states:
The State shall, within the limits of its economic capacity and development, make effective provision for securing the right to work, to education and to public assistance in cases of unemployment, old age, sickness and disablement, and in other cases of undeserved want.
Why is it wrong for someone from Bihar, UP to come to a better city for a better opportunity? Why would someone beat him just because he is trying to create a future for himself?
Is Maharashtra the only state facing mass migration of Bihari workers, and middle class professionals? People from Bihar have also migrated to Punjab, Delhi . Why is a Bihari In his own country being treated with the kind of disdain with which the British treated Indians when we went to England to find employment in the 1950s.
As for the language issue , As per CHAPTER I.—LANGUAGE OF THE UNION
343. (1) The official language of the Union shall be Hindi.
Get me a law that states
1. “Beating people is OK when a job was not advertised in local newspaper” . or
2. “It is OK to terrorize prominent people (Read Bachchan Family) based on the language they speak”.
3. “Start beating up people just because they are migrating from one state to another “in their own country”.
M.A. Jinnah had also raised a similar issue back, when he demanded a separate state due to inadequate representation of Muslims in India. India made a mistake back then by giving in to his demands. Though till now MNS has not demanded a separate state but it is working on similar lines.
I always thought that the term “Indian” was a single race, but now we are hearing other races like, north Indian, South Indians. Where did this come from?
We should accept the fact that it is not possible to have full employment. Most economists believe 3-4 % unemployment is about the best an economy can achieve . We as Indians should consider:
1. Creating more cooperative financial institutions which provide credit at reasonable rates to the unemployed youths and promote self employment
2. Creating institutions which provide high level skills to the unemployed that would make them competitive.
3. Creating a state funded unemployment welfare assistance program. Unemployed youth should be encouraged to take up community work in order to receive benefits from the state. Trust me if our government can come up with money to write off farmers loans, then it can very well come up with money to fund such a program.
4. Joining the Army. Fight terrorist rather than fighting your own countrymen.
“At times we find that people say that we speak a particular kind of language, we are born in a particular state and so we should be given preference over others. That approach is really a narrow minded approach,”- Shivraj Patil